Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Word Picture of Harsh Reality

http://barangayrp.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/new-sakal-for-blog1.jpg
(site to the image)

There is a man who is suffering extreme pain, devastation, and is being choked. His eyes are bulging out and with all the veins popping. There are tears coming out from both of his eyes, and one of tear streams is so big it looks like a small river. His mouth is wide open and his tongue is positioned in a way where one can see that he is gasping for air. There is saliva coming out from the bottom of his lip and his arms are positioned vertically to his shoulders. There is a huge hand, with big fingers, choking the slender neck of the dying man. The man’s head is also wrung back helplessly past his shoulders.
This picture defamiliarizes murder, the fact that a person does not have to personally kill a man with his hands, to be responsible for his death. Even though in the picture there is a literal hand doing the choking, it represents the people or government that chose to implement the food blockade. Murder does not have to come from personal actions only, it can be related to decisions outside of the environment where the death occurred. Consequences for decisions, like implementing a food blockade, devastates a large scale of people and the death toll could be countless. In reality this type of murder is harsher, crueler, and more dangerous than what we generally think of as physical actual killing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alina! I tried to e-mail the address that's on your profile, but no luck!

    So I'm responding to your response here:


    Your consideration and response is much appreciated! I'm glad somebody read my paper. I almost didn't write one! ;p

    However, I would like to "argue" that a paper's argument is going to come across with or without secondary sources and that it's the evidence, not the quotes that support it. The secondary sources is a mere requirement of the classroom. I understand that sources confirm credibility, but what other credibility is there than pure experience and perception? Although, I agree that experience and perception is affirmed through stating someone else's point of view. At any rate, if you look again you will notice that I do cite Joseph Cambell, an "accomplished scholar, writer and teacher", from the book Power of Myth. Yes, I didn't cite the exact page number and I did fail in that aspect since it is a classroom assignment after all, right? However, if i revise the paper and simply cite my sources in-text, does that really make my argument much more viable? or is it the same? I'm asking in terms of outside the classroom, y'know? Logically...

    What kind of additional evidence do you suggest I could include? My paper was three pages to be exact so I'm aware there's room for more, but I chose the essential images that represented what I wanted to communicate. What else do you see that can be communicated? I'm curiouser and curiouser!

    Thanks again and I appreciate your perspective!
    mau.

    p.s. let me know what e-mail you can be reached at! :)

    ReplyDelete